Alfred State at Husson
Saturday, November 4, 2017 * Noon * Winkin Complex
History between Teams: 6th meeting - Husson leads series 4-1 (4-0 in NCAA DIII era)
Last Meeting: Husson defeated Alfred State 35-0 last season
Players to Watch:
Husson: RB #3 John Smith, QB #15 Corey Brandon, IlB #52 Elvin Suazo, CB #23 Quan Soyini, DT #98 Luke Washburn
Tale of the Tape:
Alfred State: 1-7 (1-4 ECFC)
Offense: 13.1 ppg & 236 yards per game (99.1 rushing and 136.9 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 36 for 113, 4th Down Conversion - 9 for 16
Defense: 31.1 ppg & 402.4 yards per game (181.8 rushing and 220.6 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 44 for 101, 4th Down Conversion - 7 for 15
Turnover Ratio: +4 (9 turnovers/13 takeaways)
Husson: 7-1 (5-0 ECFC)
Offense: 38.5 ppg & 442 yards per game (268.5 rushing and 173.5 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 43 for 96, 4th Down Conversion - 6 for 23
Defense: 12.3 ppg & 238 yards per game (93.1 rushing and 144.9 passing)
Turnover Ratio: +14 (8 turnovers/22 takeaways)
Scouting the Pioneers:
- The Pioneers are coming off a 18-8 victory over Mount Ida. The Mustangs led 8-0 early in the 3rd quarter before the blue & gold scored 18 unanswered. Kiegan Brown finished the day with 84 yards rushing and two scores on 24 carries while Hunter Evingham was 7 for 15 for 102 yards. Owen Davis led the Pioneer defense with nine tackles while John Lauretti finished with eight tackles and three sacks. The Pioneers recorded five sacks on the day, recovered two fumbles, and intercepted a pass. Michael Zimmerman had a big day on special teams. He punted seven times with four of his punts landing inside the 20. He averaged 43.7 yards per punt.
- Last weekend the blue & gold used big plays on special teams, recovered a fumble on a punt return and a botched punt snap, to lead to two scores.
- The Pioneers struggled to maintain a drive most of the day last week but put together a 79-yard drive that was capped by a touchdown pass from Hunter Evingham to Jalen Long to ice the contest.
- Kiegan Brown continues to impress. He scored twice last weekend and now has 597 total yards and seven scores on the season.
- Jalen Long leads the team with 305 yards receiving and four scores. Reice Woodward has caught the most passes with 25 receptions for 246 yards.
- The defense made big plays vs. Mount Ida. The team recorded five sacks - three by John Lauretti. The team also was won the turnover battle with a +3
- Owen Davis had his most productive day as a Pioneer finishing with nine tackles.
Scouting the Eagles:
- Husson downed Anna Maria 70-13 last weekend to improve to 5-0 in conference play. Running back John Smith rushed for 247 yards (17.6 yards per rush, a new single-game record) and four touchdowns, all in the first half. As a team the Eagles piled up 671 yards of total offense, including a single-game school record 565 yards on the ground, an single-game school record of 11.3 yards per rush, with eight rushing touchdowns, the second most in a single-game in program history. The Eagles also had a blocked punt returned for a TD and an interception returned for a score. The Eagles recoded six sacks including two each by Elvin Suazo and Luke Washburn. Quan Soyini had two interceptions for Husson while Jean Gabriel (Lake Worth, Fla.) had an active day for the Eagles with seven tackles, a sack, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick to set up a touchdown.
- John Smith has been one of the top running backs in the country. He has rushed for 1,487 yards and 20 scores this season. Last season vs. Alfred State, Smith rushed for 153 yards on 30 carries.
- Cory Brandon has passed for 12 touchdowns and 1,314 yards on the season. He looks to a trio of receivers, Kyle Gaudet (24 catches for 360), Kyree Calli (24 catches for 321), and Robenson Saintard (18 catches for 278).
- The Eagles defense has forced 22 turnovers this season (14 interceptions and eight fumble recoveries). Quan Soyini leads the way with seven interceptions while Jonathan Bravo has two of the fumble recoveries.
- A victory for Husson will clinch the ECFC title and the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament for the Eagles.
Around the ECFC:
Alfred State @ Husson, Gallaudet @ Castleton, Maritime @ Dean, Anna Maria @ Mount Ida
- Current Standings:
- Husson: 5-0 (7-1 overall)
- Maritime: 4-1 (7-1 overall)
- Castleton: 3-2 (4-4 overall)
- Gallaudet: 3-2 (3-5 overall)
- Mount Ida: 2-3 (3-5 overall)
- Dean: 1-4 (3-5 overall)
- Alfred State: 1-4 (1-7 overall)
- Anna Maria: 1-4 (1-7 overall)
Game Day Information:
- Live Stats: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/boxscores/20171028_d8ut.xml
- Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/husson/
The Pioneers close out the 2017 season by hosting Castleton. Prior to the 1 p.m. kickoff the team will honor their seniors and honor visitors from Wounded Warriors
Husson hosts Mount Ida next week in their season finale.