Dean College at Alfred State
Saturday, October 7, 2017 * 1 p.m. * Pioneer Stadium
History between Teams: 18th meeting, 2nd during the Alfred State NCAA DIII era. Bulldogs lead the all-time series 15-2 including a 47-19 victory last season.
Players to Watch:
Dean: QB #15 Matthew Bethel, RB #21 Richard Harris, LB #1 Trent Waters, LB #33 Ricco Aaron, CB #9 Marquez Walls
Tale of the Tape:
Alfred State: 0-4 (0-1 ECFC)
Offense: 5 ppg & 154.5 yards per game (31.2 rushing and 123.2 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 14 for 55, 4th Down Conversion - 5 for 7
Defense: 35.5 ppg & 461.2 yards per game (199 rushing and 262.2 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 25 for 52, 4th Down Conversion - 3 for 8
Turnover Ratio: -1 (6 turnovers/5 takeaways)
Dean: 2-2 (0-1 ECFC)
Offense: 11.8 ppg & 214.0 yards per game (153.5 rushing and 60.5 passing), 3rd Down Conversion -14 for 59, 4th Down Conversion - 2 for 11
Defense: 21 ppg & 268 yards per game (138.3 rushing and 129.8 passing)
Turnover Ratio: +1 (10 turnovers/11 takeaways)
Scouting the Pioneers:
- The Pioneers return home for the first time in nearly a month after opening up ECFC play last weekend with a 49-6 loss at Maritime. The Pioneers put together their one scoring drive of the day in the early parts of the 4th quarter. Willerm Greffin set up the drive with a 57-yard kickoff return. He then recorded a rush of 35 yards that got the Pioneers into the red zone. Three plays later Eli Frantz connected with Jalen Long on a four-yard pass play to get the blue & gold on the board. Maritime gained 601 yards on the day and held the Pioneers to just 83. Austin Parker led the Pioneers defense with 12 tackles (9 solo) and an interception. Brandon Davis had nine tackles and John Lauretti finished with eight.
- The blue & gold will battle one of their longest rivals this week. This is the 18th meeting between the two schools, both who used to play in the NJCAA, dating back to 1996.
- The Pioneers offense was bottled up last week at Maritime and will look to get going this week. Eli Frantz has completed 53.8% of his passes this year with Reice Woodward catching 13 (98 yards) and Joe Moscato 12 (109 yards). Jalen Long has the most yardage on the year with 113 yards on five catches. Chris Meadows and Kiegan Brown were held in check last weekend but will need to get going as the Pioneers had possession of the ball for only 23:11 last week.
- The trio of Austin Parker, John Lauretti, and Brandon Davis led the defense last week and are the top three tacklers on the season thus far. The team will need to stop the Bulldog running attack and make more big plays. The Pioneers have only recorded two sacks, three intercptions and two fumble recoveries on the year.
- Willerm Greffin has made the most of his three chances in the kickoff return game. Last week he had a season best 57-yard return and leads the team with a 37.7 yard average.
Scouting the Bulldogs:
- The Bulldogs wrapped up their non-conference schedule last week with a 10-3 victory at Nichols. The rushing combination of Matt Bethel and Richard Harris each topped the 100-yad mark on the ground, and Harris salted the game away with several powerful runs on the game's final drive. Bethel finished with 108 yards while Harris had 105. Ricco Aaron (Douglasville, Ga.) had a monster effort, recording 20 tackles, a sack and two tackles for loss.Meanwhile, Trent Waters ended with 16 stops and two pass breakups and Taylor was dominant again, recording ten tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss.
- The Bulldogs have won two straight contests after opening the season with a pair of setbacks. The team relies heavily on the rushing attack. Quarterback Matt Bethel leqads the team with 236 yards rushing while Richard Harris has 225. The team has only 242 total yards passing and has thrown seven interceptions.
- Ricco Aaron lead the defense with 42 tackles (20 last week) en route to earning USCAA and D3football.com weekly honors. Aaron is 2nd in the ECFC in tackles.
- Dean has a +1 turnover ratio. They have thrown seven interceptions and lost three fumbles but have eight defensive interceptions and three fumble recoveries. Marquez Walls and Kaleel Harley both have three interceptions each.
- Dequan Brown is a threat in the kick return game. He has six returns for 180 yards including a 93 yard return for a touchdown.
Around the ECFC:
- Dean at Alfred State, Mount Ida at Castleton, Anna Maria at Gallaudet, & Maritime at Husson
- Current Standings
- Maritime: 1-0 (4-0 overall)
- Husson: 1-0 (3-1 overall)
- Castleton: 1-0 (2-2 overall)
- Mount Ida: 1-0 (2-2 overall)
- Dean: 0-1 (2-2 overall)
- Alfred State: 0-1 (0-4 overal)
- Anna Maria: 0-1 (0-4 overall)
- Gallaudet: 0-1 (0-4 overall)
Game Day Information:
- Live Stats: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/boxscores/20170930_qk84.xml
- Live Video (Free SD/$5 HD): https://boxcast.tv/view/football-vs-dean-484850
- Tickets: $5 for Adults, $2 for Seniors, Free for Alfred State Students/Faculty & Staff, and youth under 13.
- Tailgating in Lot 20 will open at 4 p.m. - Tailgaiting Rules and Regulations
Alfred State hosts Gallaudet next Saturday at 1 p.m. in their Homecoming game - for more information on Homecoming visit: http://mcal.alfredstate.edu/MasterCalendar/EventDetails.aspx?data=hHr80o3M7J72HEvz/xeqEvIW6PCBkB81Xqmkl95bU13rKQ4fqVGkc24jklzZ6vaU
Dean hosts Mount Ida next Saturday