Alfred State at Coast Guard
Thursday, August 31, 2017 * 7 p.m. * Cadet Memorial Field (New London, CT)
History between Teams: 1st meeting between the two teams. The two teams are scheduled to play again in 2020 at Alfred State.
Common Opponents: The two teams have a common opponent
Players to Watch:
|Alfred State||Coast Guard|
|LB #35 Brandon Davis||QB #13 Ethan Goldcamp|
|DE #55 John Lauretti||
WR/P #18 Chip Crowley
QB #13 Eli Frantz
|SS #7 Ryan Robertson|
|LT #78 Sam Van Valkenburg||FS #4 Matt O'Donnell|
|K #19 Zack Goodwin||RG #77 Hudson Dunaway|
Tale of the Tape
|Alfred State||Coast Guard|
11.5 ppg & 244.8 yards per game
(140.6 passing & 104.2 rushing)
26.5 ppg & 367.7 yards per game
(322.2 passing & 45.5 rushing)
40.1 ppg & 444.5 yards per game
(201.2 passing & 243.3 rushing)
31.1 ppg & 475.2 yards per game
(238 passing & 237.2 rushing)
Scouting the Pioneers: 2017 Season Preview
- This is the first of three non-conference games before the Pioneers begin their inaugural season in the Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC).
- Thirty players on the roster were on the 2016 squad. The defense boasts more exprience led by five of the team's six leading tacklers, Brandon Davis (Lansing), John Lauretti (Seaford), Justin Espinal (Beacon), Jhamel Cohen (Brooklyn/South Shore), and Carlisle Philip (Brooklyn/South Shore). from last year.
- The offense is young and will need some playmakers to step up. Possible players to watch include Jalen Long (Rochester/Bishop Kearney), Giovanni Jean (Rosedale/Kellenberg), Kelvin Allotey (Bronx/Millennium Art), and Chris Meadows (New Rochelle).
- Improving on the takeaway battle and making big plays will be two areas that need to be improved on both sides of the ball. The team had was a -15 in the turnover battle and only had a handful of plays over 30 yards all season.
- Over 100 players participated in preseason camp.
Scouting the Bears: 2017 Season Preview
- This is the first of three non-conference games for the Bears. They begin play in the first year of the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC).
- Coast Guard returns 14 starters, seven on each side of the ball, and both the punter and kicker for the 2017 season.
- The 2016 Bears struggled running the ball only averaging 45.5 yards per game. They return their top three receivers from last year but will have a new quarterback in Ethan Goldcamp. Goldcamp saw action in nine of the games last year and passed for 599 yards and five scores.
- Chip Crowley does it all for the Bears. He is one of their top receivers, handles the punting duties, and will be involved in the punt return game.
- The Bears lost their last four games of the 2016 season after a season best two game winning streak to start October.
Game Day Information:
- Live Stats: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/boxscores/20170831_8fl6.xml
Important Information to fans planning on attending the game: Visiting fans should plan on entering CGA via the main gate on Mohegan Avenue. Upon arrival, please present photo identification at the security gate and be prepared to present vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Ask for directions to your destination. Watch for marching formations and yield to them at all times. Do not pass formations. The speed limit is 15 mph. As a military facility, the Coast Guard Academy complies with the REAL ID Act, a federal law passed in 2005 to set standards for authenticating personal identification. Please view the following website (www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief) to ensure your state driver's license meets the compliance standards of the REAL ID Act. The Coast Guard Academy will be unable to grant access to the campus without compliant ID's. Residents of states that do not comply with the REAL ID Act should plan to present an alternate, compliant form of ID, such as a passport, military ID, TWIC card, or permanent resident card. If you have questions about the REAL ID Act, please visit www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief.
Alfred State opens up the home portion of their season next Saturday (9/9) when they host Hartwick at 7 p.m.
Coast Guard is in action next Saturday (9/9) when they travel to Union for a 1 p.m. kickoff