Castleton at Alfred State
Saturday, November 11, 2017 * 1 p.m. * Pioneer Stadium
History between Teams: 3rd meeting - Castleton leads 2-0
Last Meeting: 2015 - Castleton 35 Alfred State 20
Players to Watch:
Castleton: QB #15 Mitchell Caron, RB #24 Moe Harris, WR #3 Jermaine Coggins, ILB #25 Jakob Trautwein, DL #55 Bubba Collins
Tale of the Tape:
Alfred State: 1-8 (1-5 ECFC)
Offense: 11.7 ppg & 219.2 yards per game (91.4 rushing and 127.8 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 39 for 125, 4th Down Conversion - 9 for 18
Defense: 34.7 ppg & 412.2 yards per game (192.8 rushing and 219.4 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 48 for 108, 4th Down Conversion - 8 for 18
Turnover Ratio: +1 (12 turnovers/13 takeaways)
Castleton 5-4 (4-2 ECFC)
Offense: 17.7 ppg & 274.7 yards per game (123.6 rushing and 151.1 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 30 for 123, 4th Down Conversion - 7 for 23
Defense: 29.1 ppg & 329.2 yards per game (124.2 rushing and 205 passing)
Turnover Ratio: -1 (16 turnovers/14 takeaways)
Scouting the Pioneers:
- The Pioneers struggled vs. ECFC leader Husson last week. The Eagles clinched the conference title with a 63-0 victory. Willerm Greffin (Brooklyn/South Shore) was the top Pioneer on offense finishing with four catches for 25 yards. Dashown Wilson (Bronx/DeWitt Clinton) led the defense with eight tackles while Austin Parker (Port Byron), Owen Davis (Lansing), and Justin Espinal (Beacon) all had seven tackles.
- The Pioneers have started slow the whole season a key to victory would be to score early and put the Spartans in a hole.
- Kiegan Brown will look to complete an impressive freshmen campaign. He sits at 608 yards on the season on 133 attempts. He has scored seven touchdowns and is averaging 67.6 yards per game.
- Jalen Long is averaging 21.8 yards per catch and has a team best four scores.
- John Lauretti, Justin Espinal, and Carlisle Philip will be counted on to help stop the running attack of the Spartans led by Moe Harris. Lauretti leads the team with 71 tackles and seven sacks.
- Dashown Wilson has stepped up the last couple of weeks. He has accumulated 19 tackles (16 solo) and leads the team with two interceptions.
- The Pioneers have a +1 turnover ratio but need to make all the plays on special teams. They have had four punts blocked and one returned for a team.
- Ball control and converting on 3rd down will be key. The Pioneers have converted on 31% of their 3rd Down attempts on the year.
Scouting the Spartans:
- Castleton University earned 425 total yards of offense and held off a Gallaudet rally to defeat the Bison, 28-17 last week. Mitchell Caron completed 27-of-37 passes for 274 yards and one touchdown, with Adnane Adossama catching six passes for 96 yards. Moe Harris passed the 1,000-yard mark for the season, earning 128 rushing yards on 29 carries with two touchdowns. Jakob Trautwein led the Castleton offense with 11 tackles and an interception.
- Moe Harris is the main offensive threat for the Spartans. He leads the team with 1,033 yards (4.4 yards/carry and 114.8 yards/game).
- Mitchell Caron has passed for 1,292 yards and five scores on the year but he has thrown 10 interceptions.
- Jakob Trautwein has been a monster for the defense. He leads the team with 103 tackles (49 solo), three sacks, and 12 tackles for a loss. He also has an interception and two forced fumbles.
- The Spartans have struggled on 3rd down, converting only 24% on the season.
- All five of the Spartans victories have been decided by 14 points or less.
Around the ECFC:
Castleton @ Alfred State, Mount Ida @ Husson, Dean @ Anna Maria, & Gallaudet @ Maritime
- Current Standings:
- Husson: 6-0 (8-1 overall)
- Maritime: 5-1 (8-1 overall)
- Castleton: 4-2 (5-4 overall)
- Gallaudet: 3-3 (3-6 overall)
- Mount Ida: 3-3 (3-6 overall)
- Dean: 1-5 (3-6 overall)
- Alfred State: 1-5 (1-8 overall)
- Anna Maria: 1-5 (1-8 overall)
Game Day Information:
- Prior to the game the coaching staff will honor nine players playing in their final game at Alfred State - Chris Meadows, Jamal Little, Jhamel Cohen, Zack Goodwin, Chris Alfaro, Carlisle Philip, Andres Presthus, Todd Capen, and Kaieel Ward.
- The college will also hold a special veteran's day ceremony - the college is expecting several members of Wounded Warriors to be in attendance for the game.
- Live Stats: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/boxscores/20171028_d8ut.xml
- Live Video (Free SD/$5 HD): https://boxcast.tv/view/football-vs-mount-ida-657732
- Tickets: $5 for Adults, $2 for Seniors, Free for Alfred State Students/Faculty & Staff, and youth under 13.
- Tailgating in Lot 20 will open at 10 a.m. - Tailgaiting Rules and Regulations
The Pioneers open the 2018 season next season with a home contest vs. UMASS Dartmouth on September 1st.