Pioneers Tangle with Morrisville to Open 2014 Season
Alfred State (0-0) vs. Morrisville (0-0)
Saturday, September 6th, 2014
Morrisville, NY * Drake Field
Last meeting: 2005: Alfred State 20 - 9 (both teams were members of Region III of the NJCAA)
AS Offense: 21.3 points per game, 288.6 ypg (163.8 rushing & 124.8 passing)
AS Defense: 30.7 points per game, 342.2 ypg (145.8 rushing & 196.4 passing)
Morrisville Offense: 32.4 points per game, 507.4 ypg (222.6 rushing & 284.8 passing)
Morrisville Defense: 39.1 points per game, 450.3 ypg (200.2 rushing & 250.1 passing)
Players to watch:
|RB #5 Rasheed Williams||QB #1 Lemar Johnson|
|WR #12 Erik Simmons||WR #2 Josh Powell|
|MLB #48 Nick DePofi||ILB #44 Wallace Stephens|
|SS #21 Keegan Phalen||OLB #3 Delroy Young|
- The Pioneers renew their rivalry with former NJCAA Region III foe Morrisville. The teams have met 11 previous times in Pioneer football history. The last meeting was in 2005 when the two teams split a pair of games - Alfred State won the final match-up 20-9
- Morrisville was 3-7 last season and 2-5 in NJAC play. This is the final year that Morrisville will be in the NJAC before moving to the Empire 8 in 2015.
- Keegan Phalen, Matt Munson, Nick DePofi, and David Londono are the first Pioneers to compete at Alfred State for all four years of their eligibility.
- Rasheed Williams rushed for 1,000 yards last year and is looking to become the first Pioneer to put together back-to-back 1,000 yard rushing seasons.
- Mustang quarterback Lemar Johnson is a dual threat. He passed for 2,510 yards and 23 scores and rushed for 639 yards and nine scores.
- The Mustangs offense averaged over 500 yards of offense last year but was slowed down by 23 sacks and 10 interceptions.
- Live stats are available at: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2014-15/boxscores/20140906_615z.xml
- Live audio is available at: http://www.morrisvillestateathletics.com/audio/index
- The Pioneers are slated for five road trips this year. This is the shortest trip of the year for the team.
- The Pioneers host the University of Rochester next week as they open up the home portion of the season.