Pioneers Head to Southern Virginia to Battle Knights
Alfred State (4-4) vs. Southern Virginia (6-2)
Saturday, November 9, 2013 1 p.m.
Buena Vista, VA * Robert E Williams Field
Last meeting: 2012: Southern Virginia 21 Alfred State 6
Last Week: Alfred State 41 Hudson Valley CC 14
Southern Virginia 38 Apprentice 6
Averages: Alfred Offense: 26.6 points per game, 319.5 ypg (186 rushing & 133.5 passing)
Alfred Defense: 28.8 points per game, 316.6 ypg (113.5 rushing & 203.1 passing)
SVU Offense: 28.8 points per game, 295 ypg (170.8 rushing & 124.2 passing)
SVU Defense: 17.8 points per game, 326.9 ypg (109.4 rushing & 202.2 passing)
Players to watch:
#5 Rasheed Williams: Sr. RB
#48 Nick DePofi: Jr. LB
#21 Keegan Phalen: Jr. S/K/P
#6 Danny Napolionello: So. WR
#56 Daniel Monachino: Fr. DE
#12 Andy Jones: So. QB
#80 Dee Sanford: Sr. WR
#47 Dakoda Winsor: Sr. LB
#64 Sam Mellor: So. DT
#21 Robert Crews: Fr. LB
- The Pioneers and Knights battle for the second straight season. The teams are slated to continue the series in 2014.
- The Pioneers have won two straight games while the Knights have won four straight.
- The Pioneers got contributions from all aspects of the team last week scoring points offensively, defensively, and with the special teams.
- SVU has a +2 for their turnover ratio. The team has intercepted seven passes and recovered 10 fumbles.
- The Knights has allowed 202.2 yards per game in the air and have allowed 15 passing touchdowns compared to just five rushing scores.HVCC is converting just 29% of 3rd downs and 33% of 4th down chances.
- Alfred State has converted 33% of 3rd downs and just 19% of 4th downs. Southern Virginia has converted 38% of 3rd downs and 50% of 4th downs.
- Nick DePofi had a game changing 80-yard interception return for a score last week marking the 2nd defensive score of the year for the Pioneers.
- Keegan Phalen had an impact on aspects of the game last week. He led the team with 13 tackles, forced a fumble, connected on two field goals (42 & 23 yards), completed a pass for 19 yards and caught a pass for 26 yards.
- Rasheed Williams needs 102 yards to reach the 1,000 yard plateau on the year.
- Live video of the contest: client.stretchinternet.com/client/svu.portal#
- Alfred State is currently 6th in the USCAA Week #5 standings while Southern Virginia is #2
- The Pioneers wrap up the 2013 season with a contest at Wesley College next week.