Alfred State Tangles With U of Rochester Saturday
Alfred State (2-3) @ University of Rochester (2-2)
Saturday, October 12, 2013 1 p.m.
Last meeting: First Meeting
Last Week: Alfred State defeated Williamson Trade 48-0
Rochester lost 14-10 at St. Lawrence
Averages: Alfred Offense: 24.8 points per game, 328 ypg (229.4 rushing & 98.6 passing)
Alfred Defense: 28.8 points per game, 288.6 ypg (113 rushing & 175.6 passing)
Rochester Defense: 28.2 points per game, 352.5 ypg (243.8 rushing & 108.8 passing)
Players to watch:
Rasheed Williams: Sr. RB, 6-1 – 215 (Swedesboro, NJ)
Devin Simmons: Sr. WR, 6-5 – 212 (Horseheads, NY)
Mike DeGroat: Sr. DL, 6-0 – 250 (Vestal Center, NY)
Brett Harrington: Sr. CB, 6-1 – 185 (Rochester, NY)
John Garbowski: Jr. LB, 6-0 – 220 (Mohegan Lake, NY)
Dean Kennedy: Sr. QB, 6-2 – 165 (Scituate, MA)
Thomas Hayes: Sr. WR, 6-1 – 190 (Syracuse, NY)
Tony Ortega: Sr. OLB, 5-11 – 214 (Rochester, NY)
Thomas Marone: So. LB, 5-10 – 190 (Manorville, NY)
Shawn Burke: Sr. DE, 6-1 – 239 (Webster, NY)
- The Pioneers replace the United State Merchant Marine Academy due to the government shutdown.
- Alfred State has scored 103 points in the last two games after only scoring 21 in their opening three games.
- Rochester has had three of their four games decided by four points or less and their two victories were both by one point (28-27 over Thiel and 36-35 over Springfield).
- Rasheed Williams has three straight 100-yard games. He gained 135 yards and scored three times on just seven carries last week at Williamson Trade. He has scored six of his seven touchdowns on the season in the last two weeks.
- The Pioneer rushing attack has rushed for 1,147 total yards already on the year which is more than the 2012 (580), 2008 (697), 2010 (749), and 2009 (1,074) seasons. The rushing attack has scored
- Williams is averaging 6.5 yards per carry while the team is averaging 4.9 per carry. The Pioneers have scored 12 of their 18 teams touchdowns on the ground.
- Yellowjacket QB Dean Kennedy has been a dual threat throwing for 873 yards and four scores while leading the team with 209 yards rushing. He has accounted for 1,082 of Rochester's 1,590 yards.
- Thomas Hayes leads the Yellowjacket receiving core with 24 catches in three games.
- Alfred State and Rochester both have -1 turnover ratios.
- Rochester has recorded just two sacks on the season while Alfred State had six last week and has 14 on the year. The Pioneers have given up 13 sacks while the Yellowjackets have given up 9.
- The Alfred State defense has yet to score a point this year while Rochester has recorded a safety.
- Special teams have played a key role to the Pioneers success the past two weeks. The Pioneers return teams have set the offense in great field position.
- The two teams are scheduled to meet in 2014 and 2015
- Former Pioneer Jacob Lees is an assistant coach for the Yellowjackets
- Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/rochester/football/
- Live Audio: http://www.wysl1040.com/livesports.php
- Pay per view video: http://www.uofrathletics.com/showcase/
- Alfred State is currently ranked 4th in the USCAA Week #2 standings
- The Pioneers host longtime NJCAA rival Erie CC next Saturday at 1 p.m.