Alfred State (0-0) @ Ohio Northern (0-0)
Saturday, September 7, 2013 1 p.m. Ada, OH
First Meeting between the two colleges
Last Year: Alfred State: 5-4 in final NJCAA year
Ohio Northern: 4-5 in 2012
Players to watch:
Greg Hampton: Sr. QB 6-0, 191 (Uniondale, NY)
Devin Simmons: Sr. WR 6-5, 212 (Horseheads, NY)
Rasheed Williams: Sr. RB 6-1, 215 (Swedesboro, NJ)
Thomas Daniels: Sr. LB 6-1, 208 (Bronx, NY)
Rory Spain: Sr. LB 6-2, 235 (Tully, NY)
Pat Angle: Jr. QB 6-1, 225 (Logan, OH)
Will Bodden: So. RB 5-9, 195 (Miami, FL)
Zach Baker: Sr. WR 6-2, 190 (Ada, OH)
Mike King: Sr. DL 6-2, 275 (Lodi, OH)
Steven Kenny: Jr. DE 6-2, 240 (Dewittville, NY)
Dillon Kwiat: Jr. LB 5-11, 230 (Bloomville, OH)
The Pioneers begin the new era of NCAA DIII with a tough test vs. the Polar Bears of Ohio Northern University. The Polar Bears were 4-5 in 2012 but were 10-2 in 2010 and 8-2 in 2009.
Alfred's roster features many familiar names to the NJCAA version of the Pioneers of years past. On the offensive side, QB Greg Hampton, WR Devin Simmons, and WR Tavon Moore return from the Region III Championship team of 2011. LB Rory Spain and LB Mike DePofi return to campus to join two-year starters LB Thomas Daniels and SS Keegan Phalen to anchor the defense.
Pioneer transfers Rasheed Williams, a NJCAA All-American running back at Louisburg College, and John Garbowski, a transfer linebacker from DIII William Patterson, should be players to watch and impact players on either side of the ball.
- Ohio Northern is predicted to finish 6th by both the coaches and media in the Ohio Athletic Conference. Mt. Union is predicted to win the OAC.
- From the D3football.com season preview: Alfred State ranked 241, Ohio Northern ranked 86. The OAC is ranked the 2nd best conference in the country.
- Alfred State head coach is four wins away from 100 career victories (60-68 at Alfred State)
- Alfred State is one of five independent NCAA DIII schools in the country
- Live stats will be available at: http://livestats.onu.edu/livestats/fb/xlive.htm
- Live audio courtesy of Ohio Northern: http://www.onu.edu/academics/college_of_arts_sciences/academic_departments/communication_and_theatre_ar
- The Pioneers are on the road again next weekend as they travel to Michigan to take on Concordia University of Ann Arbor. The game will be played at Eastern Michigan University.