Alfred State Athletics began the process to move from NJCAA to NCAA Division III in 2013-14. This is an exciting change that the college, athletic department and student-athletes are looking forward to. Below is some important information regarding this move to NCAA Division III.
NCAA Division III Eligibility
Incoming students (must be enrolled full-time).
- Students admitted into four year programs are eligible.
- Students in two year programs must have a 78 or 2.4/4.0 high school average AND a combined 930 reading/writing and math new SAT score (850 combined critical reading and math old SAT) or an 18 composite ACT to be immediately eligible their first semester
- After the first semester returning student requirements apply.
- Student-athletes must be in good academic standing - 2.0 GPA (C average)
- Student-Athletes must be enrolled full-time – 12 credits a semester.
- Student-Athletes must be making satisfactory academic progress – Passing 2/3 of attempted credits.
Positive changes regarding competing as an NCAA Division III Institution
- Students can be student-athletes for 4 years at Alfred State.
- Student-athletes will have more time to work with their coaches and teams to improve.
- To participate in NCAA Division III Alfred State College is:
- Improving our athletic facilities
- Increasing our athletic department staffing
- Increasing our athletic department budget
- Alfred State is a provisional member of Division III of the NCAA. Our first year as full-fledged member of NCAA Division III should be 2018-19.
- During the provisional years teams and individual student-athletes can compete for conference/association honors, but not for national NCAA Division III honors.
- We are exploring options for NCAA Division III conference memberships.
- We have applied to join several other athletic associations during these provisional years to provide our student-athletes with end of the season regional and national level competitions and honors.
- Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC)
- New York State Collegiate Track Conference (NYSCTC)
- United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA)
- National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA)