The Fitness Center, located in the Orvis Activities Center, is open to students of the college, faculty/staff, and members of the community. The Center consists of a 4,500 square foot space housing cardiovascular equipment, resistive weight equipment, and a free weight area. Managed by a full-time certified director, the Center will be staffed at all times to ensure a safe and effective workout for all participants regardless of fitness level.
Cardio Theater allows members to listen to individually selected audiovisual entertainment while exercising on the equipment.
Fitness Center Hours
The fitness center will be closed legal holidays and weekends when school is not in session.
|Day(s)||When college is in session||Summer & Break Hours|
|Mon - Thu||6 a.m. - 10 p.m.||6 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Friday||6 a.m. - 6 p.m.||6 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Saturday - Sunday||1 - 6 p.m.||Closed|
The Fitness Center offers new, state-of-the-art equipment consisting of:
- 19 Station Cybex pin select Strength circuit
- 6 York Power Racks with Husker Benches
- 34 pairs of York Dumbbells (5 lbs - 120 lbs)
- 1 Hoist cross over cable
- 1 Hoist Smith Machine
- 1 Power System Glute-Ham
- 2 Magnum adjustable high/low pullies
- 10 pre-loaded curl bars (20 lbs - 120 lbs)
- 4,500 lbs. of free weights
- Various free weights, benches and bars
- 1 Magnum Lat Pull Down
- 1 Hoist Low Row
- 1 Cybex Leg Press
- 1 Cybex - Scott Preacher Curl
- 1 Cybex Decline Bench
- 1 Cybex Seated Calf Raise
Cardio Vascular Training
- 6 Life Fitness Bicycles
- 2 Expresso Bicycles
- 6 Professional Treadmills with TV's
- 3 Cybex Arc Trainers
- 4 Precor EFX Elliptical Trainers
- 2 Precor - Adaptive Motion Trainers
Memberships are available for purchase with varying plans available for:
- Registered Alfred State students
- Alfred State staff and dependents
- Community members: Senior citizens (60+), Adults (18-59), Scholastic (13-17)
To Become a Member (Students Included):
- Come to the Center with proper identification and complete registration forms including a waiver-release-hold-harmless agreement and a physical activity readiness questionnaire (Par-Q). A physician’s clearance form may be necessary as determined by Par-Q. Students must have a college physical on file with the Health Center.
- Paid membership fee. (Students must have paid their optional fitness center fee.)
Membership Fee Structure
|1 month||3 months||6 months||1 semester||full year|
|Alfred State Students||--||--||--||$45||--|
|Alfred State Faculty & Staff||$35||$45||$65||--||$110|
Liabilities & Injuries
Participants should be aware that there is a risk of personal injury due to the inherent nature of this activity. Each participant assumes the risk for any harm or injury. We encourage each individual to have a physical examination prior to participation. All accidents or injuries should be reported immediately to a member of the Fitness Center Staff.
Fitness Center Director - Gene Doorley
Phone: (607) 587-4355
Gene Doorley is a certified strength and conditioning specialist. He earned an associate degree from Alfred State College, a bachelor's degree in fitness and health from SUNY Cortland, and physical education teaching certification from St. Bonaventure. Doorley is also the head volleyball coach. Stop in to see Gene or call for an appointment.